Generic Cholesterol medication
Cholesterol - is a lipid which is mainly produced by liver and is essential for normal body functioning. Cholesterol is present in the outer layer (plasma membrane) of each cell of our body and has many functions. It is a waxy steroid and is transported in the blood plasma of all animals. This is the main sterol synthesized by animals, but small amounts are also synthesized in plants and fungi.
If your cholesterol is still high after doing everything mentioned above, your doctor may prescribe medicines to lower cholesterol.
These may include the following:
- Statins (HMG-CoA reductase inhibitors) - these blockers of the enzyme in the liver produce cholesterol. In this case the task is to reduce cholesterol level to less than 4 mmol / l to 2 mmol / l for LDL cholesterol. Statins are useful for the treatment and prevention of atherosclerosis. Side effects may include constipation, headache, abdominal pain and diarrhea. Examples of statins are atorvastatin, fluvastatin, lovastatin, pravastatin, simvastatin and rosuvastatin.
- Aspirin - should not be given to patients younger than 16 years.
- Drugs to lower triglycerides - a fibric acid derivatives, and include gemfibrozil, fenofibrate and clofibrate.
- Niacin - a B vitamin that exists in various foods. You can get very high doses only by prescription. Niacin reduces the levels of both LDL and HDL. Side effects may include itching, headache, flushing, and ringing in the ears of (mostly very mild, if it occurs).
- Antihypertensive drugs - if you have high blood pressure, your doctor may prescribe angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors, angiotensin receptor angiotensin II (ARBs), diuretics, beta blockers, calcium channel blockers.
In some cases, patient can be assigned for inhibitors of absorption (suction), cholesterol (ezetimibe) and substances that increase the excretion of bile acids. They have more side effects and require a certain level of patient’s awareness (the so-called medical competence of patients). The doctor must make sure that the drugs are taken in accordance with all instructions.
Generic Crestor is a cholesterol-lowering medication that blocks the production of cholesterol in the body. It works by reducing levels of "bad" cholesterol (low-density lipoprotein, or LDL) and triglycerides in the blood, while increasing levels of "good" cholesterol (high-density lipoprotein, or HDL).
Generic Lipitor is a cholesterol-lowering medication that blocks the production of cholesterol (a type of fat) in the body. Lipitor reduces low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol and total cholesterol in the blood.
Generic Lopid is used for treating hyperlipoproteinemia (IIb, IV and V types), not correcting a special diet and physical activity in the presence of other risk factors, secondary hyperlipoproteinemia due to illness, are difficult to therapy (diabetes, gout, hypothyroidism).
Nicotinic acid works by reducing LDL ("bad") cholesterol and triglycerides and increasing HDL ("good") cholesterol. Niaspan contains niacin, also called nicotinic acid, a B vitamin (vitamin B3). It occurs naturally in plants and animals and is present in many multiple vitamin supplements.Nicotinic acid is used to lower cholesterol and triglycerides (types of fat) in the blood. It is also used to lower the risk of heart attack in people with high cholesterol who have already had a heart attack. It is sometimes used to treat coronary artery disease (also called atherosclerosis).
Questran helps reduce cholesterol (fatty acids) in the blood. High cholesterol is associated with an increased risk of heart disease and atherosclerosis (clogged arteries). Questran is used to lower high levels of cholesterol in the blood, especially low-density lipoprotein (LDL) ("bad" cholesterol). Questran powder is also used to treat itching caused by a blockage in the bile ducts of the gallbladder.
Generic Tricor is a cholesterol-lowering medication that blocks the production of cholesterol (a type of fat) in the body. Tricor is used along with a non-drug program (including diet changes) to treat cholesterol and lipid disorders.
Generic Vytorin is used for treating hypercholesterolemia in the absence of the effect of diet, combined hypercholesterolemia and triglitseridemia, ischemic heart disease, prevention of myocardial infarction and stroke, atherosclerosis.
Generic Zetia is a popular cholesterol-lowering medicament. Zetia helps to reduce the amount of cholesterol (a type of fat) and and other fatty substances in the organism. Zetia decreases total cholesterol and low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol in the blood.
Generic Zocor works by decreasing the production of cholesterol (a type of fat) in the organism. Zocor decreases total cholesterol and low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol in the blood.
Generic Mevacor used in patients with primary hypercholesterolemia (gipolipoproteinemii types IIa and IIb) with a high content of LDL (after failure of diet therapy in patients in an increased risk of coronary atherosclerosis), combined hypercholesterolemia and hypertriglyceridemia, atherosclerosis.