FansidarGeneric Fansidar is used for treating and preventing malaria when other medicines (eg, chloroquine) are not effective or appropriate.
|500mg + 25mg × 30||$56.40||$1.88|
|500mg + 25mg × 60||$70.80||$1.18|
|500mg + 25mg × 90||$85.20||$0.95|
|500mg + 25mg × 120||$99.60||$0.83|
|500mg + 25mg × 180||$132.40||$0.74|
|500mg + 25mg × 360||$254.80||$0.71|
Generic name: Sulfadoxine-pyrimethamine
Brand names: Fansidar, Sulfadoxine-pyrimethamine
What is Fansidar?
Fansidar is a popular medicament that is known as a antimalarial. This medicament is a amalgam of pyrimethamine, sulfadoxine. It is used to treat malaria caused by mosquito bites. It will not work for flu, viral infections or colds.
Fansidar intensifies sensitivity to sunlight, it may cause severe burning. Use a sunscreen and wear protective clothing when exposure to the sun is unavoidable.
The combination of alcohol and Fansidar may cause flushing and a fast heart rate.
This medication should not be used in children less than 2 months of age. Always contact a medic before giving Fansidar to a child.
Your doctor may prescribe this remedy for other purposes. Contact your physician if you need to learn more information about this drug.
Don't stop treatment with Fansidar earlier than it was prescribed by your doctor even if you notice improvements of your condition. Stopping the medication too early may worsen your condition. Be careful about doing dangerous tasks, driving, operating machinery or climbing until you are aware how this drug affects you. Don't drink alcohol.
What symptoms or conditions should I report to a doctor before I take this medicine?
It is important to report to a doctor if you have or had the following conditions:
- heart disorders (such as heart rhythm problems)
- kidney or liver disease
- glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase deficiency (G6PD deficiency)
- allergy to sulfadoxine, pyrimethamine or to similar foods, medicines, preservatives or dyes
- anemia or other blood disorders
- low levels of folic acid in the blood
- pregnancy, breastfeeding or planning to become pregnant
How to take Fansidar?
Note: This remedy was prescribed to you only. Do not share this medicament with others. Follow strictly your doctor's prescription. Do not take more or longer than your doctor recommended.
Fansidar is offered as the tabs to take orally.
The first dose is taken 1 or 2 days before arrival in an endemic area. It is advisable to continue administration during the stay and for 4 to 6 weeks after return.
Take this drug on an empty stomach. The tablets should be swallowed whole. Do not crush, chew or break them.
Fansidar is usually accompanied by some liquid. It is better to drink several glasses of water each day while you are taking Fansidar to protect your kidneys. In order to mitigate stomach irritation you may take it with meals or milk.
The dosage of Fansidar vary among individuals and the diseases being treated. It is obviously to inquire your physician before to take Fansidar. Follow his\her instructions carefully.
What should be done if I missed the dose?
In case you forgot to take the dose, take it at your earliest opportunity. Never double your dose if it is almost time for your next dose. Take only one dose at once.
Any medicine taken in excess can have serious consequences. If you feel an overdose, inform your health care professional straightway.
Overdose of Fansidar may give rise to seizures, severe nausea, vomiting or loss of appetite.
- certain antibiotics like sulfacetamide, sulfamethoxazole, and trimethoprim
- medicines for cancer chemotherapy
This list of interactions may be not complete. Provide your medical practitioners entire list of medicines, herbs, dietary supplements or non-prescription drugs you take. Moreover tell them whether you drink alcohol, use illegal drugs or smoke. Particular items may interact with your drug.
Which side effects can I perceive from this remedy?
- Allergic reaction ( skin rash or swelling; itching; hives; swelling of your tongue, throat, lips or face; difficulty breathing)
- Problems with breathing, chest pain
- Fever, chills
- Nausea, vomiting
- Itching in the rectal or genital area
- Difficulty urinating (urinary retention), bloody/pink urine, diarrhea or loose stools
- Hearing loss, dizziness, ringing in your ears, headache
- Indigestion, or upset stomach, bloating, stomach gas, pain or cramps
- Redness, peeling or loosening of the skin, blistering, including inside the mouth, pale skin
- Fast/pounding/irregular heartbeat (palpitations)
- Fatigue, faintness
- Liver problems, yellowing eyes, skin
- Increased sensitivity to touch, flattening of taste buds of the tongue
- Loss of appetite
If these persist or worsen, inform your physician immediately. This is not a whole list of side effects and others may occur. If you feel other reactions not listed above, contact your doctor or pharmacist.
How should Fansidar be stored?
Fansidar should be stored at room temperature, between 15 and 30 degrees C (59 and 86 degrees F), in a tightly closed container. Protect from moisture, direct heat, and light. Do not store in the bathroom or near a sink. Keep Fansidar out of the reach of children and away from animals.
Warning: Before taking the drug you need to consult your doctor.